Saturday, January 19, 2008

Does Globe roaming make sense to you?

I refused to use Globe's global roaming service in the past because of the tedious bureaucratic procedure you had to go through. But recently, the multi-billion dollar Ayala telecompany automatically activated the roaming service for all post-paid subscribers. So, in preparation for upcoming travel, I asked about rates in my destination and found that Globe does not credit one's allowances for roaming texts and calls. Thus, one will be paying the minimum plan obligation simply for the privilege of receiving messages and calls from friends in the Philippines.
How come? Rica, the Globe customer care agent replied that I can opt to have my subscription suspended while I'm away, but friends who attempt to reach me would be told that I'm unreachable. So if you want to be within reach, especially in emergencies, you have to pay the plan amount even if you don't make calls or send messages. The charges billed by Globe's partners in the destination are on top of that plan minimum. Does that make sense to you? It clearly doesn't to me.
While I was on a long holiday in Cebu in December, Globe subscribers with 3G capability had problems making and receiving calls and sending and receiving messages. When I went to the Nokia service center in SM to have my brother's phone fixed, the center was swamped with Globe subscribers who thought there was something wrong with their phones. Then someone from the center said that there was something awry with Globe's 3G network. So I went to the Globe center in the same mall and was told Globe's 3G service had indeed been 'down' in the past few days. I told the personnel there that for an allegedly world-class communications company, Globe did not know the value of communicating with its customers. Imagine the waste of time and anxiety customers had to suffer because of its failure to communicate. I am not even talking yet of rebates for customers for unrendered services.
Back in Quezon City, I had difficulty making calls and sending and receiving text messages. Rica admitted that there were network problems in QC areas. The same problem of insensitivity again. Shouldn't a cell phone service company advise its customers of network problems routinely to prevent anxiety and misunderstanding among friends and relations?
Back to the roaming policy. Rica just kept repeating it was company policy. I asked her to tell management that customer care people should be trained to explain policy and not just parrot the company line like brainless birds. But I suspect that big business exposes its customer care people as the frontline where the buck stops because it does not want to deal with valid questions on policy. What do you think?

5 comments:

Ruben Carranza said...

"So, in preparation for upcoming travel...' King, can you do some favors for me -- all of which will be paid in beer/wine in PP next week?

I need unta some white sandos for your kinugos Leon. (he has outgrown his old ones (and no, your used sandos just won't do.)

The other favor is to bring a Mac that Ida said (when she was here) she would give me. Kung dili mahimo, its ok. I will be in Manila end of February man pud.

As I told Verse by email, I will be staying sa Villa Kanga hotel (I think). I'm arriving late on January 31 and will be relatively free that weekend. Leave me a message sa hotel how to call you or Verse.

stuart-santiago said...

the complainer! galing! more exciting than the explainer ;)

Bren said...

i agree... you are a better explainer than the explainer.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely nothing makes sense in the Philippines. Filipinos will come up with BS reasons for poor service and lack of service. I will never be able to fathom their way of thinking. They take you for a fool is what it really is.

I am Filipino, but I've been away from the country for so long, I really can't say I am. Filipinos are great liars, and they make it their life pursuit to find ways to con you. I am ashamed to call myself Filipino.

Unknown said...

For DHH -- I pity you for your lost identity and for being ashamed of who you are; but as a Filipino yourself you would have to admit that like any other race, there are good and intelligent people like you and me. And personally, I think the worst kinds are those people who don't know who they are and who don't take pride in their heritage. Good luck in finding your true worth!